Saturday, May 11, 2013

Perspective

Back when I was pregnant with my girly I ended up with Bell's Palsy. The whole left side of my face was paralyzed because of it. Parts of my face never really recovered from it. My left eyelid is still a little droopy and even more so when I am tired. My smile is crooked now and I can do the neat one-eyebrow trick since the left eyebrow doesn't move.

My self esteem never fully recovered either if I want to be completely brutally vulnerable honest about it.

The other day, I had to blow the whistle in the cafeteria at work. And when I say 'blow the whistle" I, literally, mean I blew a whistle to get the kids attention. Later I had a boy ask me why "my face gets all squinty and my eye looks all weird.". Hmmmm, I can't say that I have ever blown a whistle in front of the mirror so I couldn't tell him how I looked. However, I did explain my paralysis to him. And I was surprised to find that he was completely excepting of it. His response was to tell me that it would have been cooler if I my face had been paralyzed in a car accident. Which was pretty tame of him, knowing the personality I was dealing with. I responded with, "It would have been cooler to not be paralyzed at all but I deal with it."

Anyway, long story short, my point is that it could be pretty easy to be down on myself about the way my face is. But I choose to look at it like this.....


This is how I remember looking.
This is how the kids see me look blowing a whistle. (And, yeah okay, my eye gets super squinty.)

This is how I think I look when people see me smile.

And this is how I really look.

Just me. :o) A 32 year old friend, daughter, and wife. And the mom to the most amazing girly. Who likes to put flowers in my hair.



2 comments:

Christine said...

I am not sure I have seen a full face photo of you. You are beautiful!

Blogger Mama said...

Aw, thanks Christine! You sure know how to make somebody's day! ;o)