Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Understanding

I have had a family member treat my illness with indifference. I am not completely sure if that is the exact way of it but she certainly doesn't seem to understand or want to. I can't tell you the times I have attempted to explain why I can't do certain things, to no avail. There are times I come away from a conversation, with her, feeling as if I am lazy or maybe just a little crazy. Which leaves me with hurt feelings once I've spoken with my husband who helps ground me and talks me through things enough to realize that it's her, not me, with the issues.

Recently, this family member came down with an illness. She has previously been abundantly healthy so she has had a hard time with being down and feeling sick constantly. Fortunately, she's over the worst of it now. While I felt absolutely horrible hearing she was sick, knowing what she was going through feeling badly all day every day, I was anticipating some dialog about illness. That maybe we would finally connect on some level, have a little mutual understanding.

Well, the convo we had left a lot to be desired. A lot. I'm not really sure where I went wrong but I was pretty much blown off.

I guess she'll never really understand, which makes me sad.





2 comments:

Christine said...

I think it is fair to say that we have all experienced this type of situation. I know that doesn't make you feel any better about what happened but it is to let you know that YOU are not crazy.

Blogger Mama said...

Well, not for that anyway! Ha ha I think my feisty daughter will be what sends me off the ledge of sanity!

Thanks Christine!