Friday, August 9, 2013

The White Tee Evolution

I was in this white t-shirt the other day. While I was in front of the mirror I actually took a second to look, and then started talking to myself.

"Hey! That looks pretty good on you. You should wear white t-shirts more often. Why don't you wear white t-shirts more often? What's going on there?"

Somewhere toward the end of my rambling my husband went by, looked in to see who I was talking to, semi shook his head in a bewildered way, and kept moving on. He's not stupid. I don't think he wanted to get sucked into whatever crazy was happening in front of the bathroom mirror. Momentarily distracted by him I yelled to my hubbster, "Hey! This white t-shirt looks good on me!". While I was listening to his half hearted non committal answer (because, let's be honest, he didn't want to get involved let alone interact with the crazy looking at herself in the mirror) I realized what was going on.

I pictured the line-up of t-shirts I have in my closet. I must to admit to having a whole lot of them because I am usually a t-shirt and jeans kind of girl. They mostly range in the blues and greys. What I don't have a lot of is, you guessed it, white t-shirts. I started thinking about the last time I wore a white t-shirt and the time before that, and the time before that. And then I had my answer.

There's been an evolution of t-shirts in my house. The dwindling of the white tee started when I became a Mom.

Back when L was a baby she spit up her formula constantly. And she had the talent for always having it land on me. My husband could have been feeding her beside me and she would still find some way to get the spit up on me. And, folks let me tell you, it was next to impossible to get this brand of formula spit up out of clothes. I think the formula spit up took out at least three white tees during the baby years.

Next came the toddler and preschool years. At this point my child had no concept of how to use a napkin or tissue to save her life. Which meant that every shirt I threw in the wash was smeared with lines of food goo, snot, or some combination of the two.

Now, I'm more likely to end up with residue for various crafts and science experiments we've completed.

While I am a little sad that white won't be in my wardrobe, full time again, for quite awhile, I wouldn't trade all those messy mommy moments for the world!!







No comments: