Thursday, December 5, 2013

Appetizer

 
ap·pe·tiz·er [ap-i-tahy-zer]  

1. a small portion of a food or drink served before or at the beginning of a meal to stimulate the desire to eat.

2. any small portion that stimulates a desire for more or that indicates more is to follow.

In this instance I'm choosing to use the second definition, in this blog post, to shamelessly promote a fellow Sjogren's blogger (and I'd like to consider friend albeit from several states away) and her newest accomplishment. 

Christine Molloy has been blogging about Sjogren's Syndrome since 2010, at Thoughts and Ramblings on Life, Love, and Health, and decided to put her talents to further use by writing a book. Tales From the Dry Side: The Personal Stories Behind the Autoimmune Illness Sjögren's Syndrome. To celebrate I wanted to do a mini question and answer session, with her, about the book.

********************************************

Describe what led you to write this book?

I was initially planning on writing a different book that did not have to do with Sjögren's. But I was getting a lot of comments on my blog and personal e-mails from people who were reading my blog. People seemed to be looking for other Sjögren's patients to connect with and were eager to share information. That's when I came up with the idea to start this project. I wasn't sure if it would end up being a full-length book, but it did!

With the variety of books out there, on Sjogren's Syndrome, what separates yours from the bunch and makes it a "must read"?

Every other Sjögren's book on the market, except for one other, is factual information regarding the illness. Besides the one other book (SHOWgrins by Betty Collier), there is no other book that talks solely about what it is like to live with the illness.  There are also many more stories to read in Tales From the Dry Side, and the author has Sjögren's (me).

Do you have a favorite quote from the book?

I don't have one favorite quote and here is why: every story contributor was asked to start their story with their favorite quote; one that they feel represents their Sjögren's journey. I love all 13 of them!

Is there any commonality, with the people behind the stories, beyond Sjogren's Syndrome?

There is a common thread of the struggles many of us have had in getting the medical community to believe there was something really wrong with us physically and then obtaining an accurate diagnosis. There is also commonality in the ways it has negatively, and positively, affected our personal lives.

What do hope your readers will walk away with when they have read this?

Hope and awareness.

Any plans for another Sjogren's Syndrome related book in the future?

Very good question! In this first week since publication, I have already had other Sjögren's patients suggest another book with new stories and I have had people suggest a follow-up book to the current stories since they were written anywhere from 1 1/2-2 years ago.

On a lighter note, after all your hard work there must have been some celebration after your book was published, what did you do?

Well, my extended family wanted to do a celebration, but the book came out less than a week before Thankgiving and my life got very chaotic, very quickly so I asked them to hold off until after the holidays so I could enjoy it more. As a Sjögren's patient myself, I have to keep balance. My husband and I did celebrate over the weekend though!


********************************************


I cannot wait to get a hold of my copy of Tales From the Dry Side! I'll be posting a review once I've voraciously read through it! You can get your copy here.




1 comment:

Christine Molloy said...

Thank you for doing this interview with me, Kristen and for helping to spread awareness about the book!