Friday, December 27, 2013

Book Review


I have finally finished Tales From the Dry Side! I feel as if it took me forever to get through. Not because I wasn't enjoying it, BEACAUSE I WAS, but because I have been sooooo tired by bedtime when I do my reading. So my husband kept taking the book and telling me to go to sleep. Which is all very counter-productive. Oy!

I've been reading Tales From the Dry Side by Christine Molloy. Tales From the Dry Side is a compilation of  thirteen different "Sjogren's stories" about how the patient's discovered they had Sjogren's Syndrome and their subsequent journey's to the present day.

I found each essay to be interesting in different ways. I was taken by the fact that each story had a different  overall feeling behind each one. It was like peaking into a window of the person's soul in a way. I was particularly touched by the stories of the younger patient's as I was, and am still though not according to my daughter, young when I was first diagnosed myself.

I finished this book and let out a woosh of air. I felt "heard". Which is silly, I know, since I had absolutely nothing to do with the stories in this book or the process of putting it together. But I felt "heard" anyway.

I started writing my blog because I wanted to put my story out there for the world to take in. In the hopes that I could bring more recognition to Sjogren's, even if it was in a very simple and humble way. I wanted to expel the the stigmas that follows autoimmune diseases while sharing how much damage something can do to a life. And yet, I also wanted to prove that you can still live your life every day, to the fullest you can. Well, these patients were brave enough to share their stories and struggles with the world, also. It was so uplifting to know I am not alone in my journey. And I feel as if they are standing up and saying, "Hear me! We Sjogren's patients have a story to tell!".

You can buy your copy of Tales From the Dark Side here.

And so, I will leave you with this.... Buy the book, you'll never know what you might take away from it if you don't! And my favorite line from the books says, "Courage isn't having the strength to go on; it is going on when you don't have strength." -Napoleon Bonaparte




4 comments:

Anita Stafford said...

Thanks for the review. I have added this book to my wish list.

Christine Molloy said...

Yes, I have to say...thanks for the review as well. :-)

I am very glad you liked the book and that it did something for you. Mission accomplished!!

Suzanne said...

Thanks for reviewing this book on your blog. I am one of the contributors in the book so admittedly a little biased. I just finished reading my copy too, and experienced the same feeling as you did - of being "heard". Suzanne

Blogger Mama said...

I'm glad I'm not alone in feeling that way after having finished it Suzanne. :o)