Admittedly this activity comes in several different steps, with the first step being done on a "good energy" day for me.
We gathered cotton balls, flour, water, tinfoil, food coloring, and some cookie trays. We added one cup water, one cup flour, and a few drops of food coloring together, with a spoon, until it was thoroughly mixed together.
Next we lined some cookie sheets with tinfoil, sprayed it with pam, and plopped the flour covered cotton balls onto the pan. We cooked them at 300 degrees for about 35 minutes. The cotton balls were still a little soft so I popped them back in for another ten minutes. (The cotton balls no longer gave way under my finger, so I knew they were done.) I left them to cool and harden a little more and threw them in a bag.
After L started to get a little bored we started talking about cause and effect. Here's a cute little picture I found to perfectly described what we talked about.
|Incredibly cute photo credit!|
We dipped the cotton balls in a flour mixture and baked them, = cause
so the cottons balls turned to stone. = effect
We hit the cotton balls with a hammer, = cause
so the cottons balls were smashed on the sidewalk. = effect
I'd call this activity a success!